The U-M MLK Symposium is a campus-wide event that kicks off in January. See more about the 2016 Symposium.
In celebration of the life and work of Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., the Office of Academic Multicultural Initiatives (OAMI) offers a special Student Academic Multicultural Initiatives (SAMI) Grant on a competitive basis.
A limited number of grants will be offered to ANY Central Student Government (CSG) recognized organization that plan events specifically for the MLK Symposium. Preference is given to those events scheduled during the highlighted time-period of the Symposium (during the month of January).
Deadline to submit application:
November 13, 2016 by 5:00pm EST too be included in the commemorative booklet.
*MLK/SAMI applications submitted for review after November 13th, 2016 by 5pm will not be included in the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Symposium Commemorative Booklet due to the publication deadline. However, student organizations who receive MLK/SAMI funding can still publicize the event via the U-M MLK Symposium Event page after November 13th.*
Student organizations may request up to $1000.00 for their proposed MLK event. This is not a guaranteed amount. The fiscal award will depend on the strength of the following criteria for selection:
- Merit of proposal, which promote understanding of diversity and/or increase awareness of Dr. King’s life work
- Outreach to pre-college campus
- Guest lecturer or artist on multicultural subjects or academic success issues (e.g. expert on retention of underrepresented students)
- Projects that promote the cross-cultural understanding and awareness for the campus community (e.g. workshops, performances, forums, outreach)
- Potential impact of the program on the University of Michigan and Ann Arbor community
- Since funding for student groups is through SAMI, its guidelines do apply – including summary, academic multicultural component, budget, and faculty/staff recommendation.
COMPLETE APPLICATIONS MUST HAVE:
- Faculty/Staff Endorsement (Send link to your Endorser).
You will not be considered for the award without both pieces of the application.
Upon award distribution, you will need to submit all receipts detailing your expense by email to: Christine Wylie – firstname.lastname@example.org
All recipients must submit receipts within 30 days after the event/activity. Failure to submit the receipts will result in the student and/or student organization being ineligible for any future funding.
Awarded funds that have not been used or accounted for must be transferred back to the SAMI account.