The U-M Martin Luther King, Jr. Symposium is a campus-wide event that kicks off in January. Read more about the 2019 Symposium.
In celebration of the life and work of Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., the Office of Academic Multicultural Initiatives (OAMI) offers a special Student Academic Multicultural Initiatives (SAMI) Grant on a competitive basis.
A limited number of grants will be offered to ANY Central Student Government (CSG) recognized organization that plans events specifically for the MLK Symposium. Preference is given to those events scheduled during the highlighted time-period of the Symposium (during the month of January).
Deadline to submit the application:
*MLK/SAMI applications submitted for review after October 30, 2019 by 5pm will not be included in the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Symposium Commemorative Booklet due to the publication deadline. However, student organizations who receive MLK/SAMI funding can still publicize the event via the U-M MLK Symposium Event page after October 30th.*
Student organizations may request up to $2000.00 for their proposed MLK event. This is not a guaranteed amount. The fiscal award will depend on the strength of the following criteria for selection:
- Merit of proposal, which promotes understanding of diversity and/or increases awareness of Dr. King’s life work
- Guest lecturer or artist on multicultural subjects or academic success issues (e.g. expert on retention of underrepresented students)
- Projects that promote the cross-cultural understanding and awareness for the campus community (e.g. workshops, performances, forums, outreach)
- Potential impact of the program on the University of Michigan and Ann Arbor community
- Since funding for student groups is through SAMI, its guidelines do apply – including summary, academic multicultural component, budget, and faculty/staff recommendation.